American Family Insurance is a private mutual company founded in 1927 as Farmers Mutual Automobile Insurance Company. It expanded its insurance offerings and in the 1960s changed its name to American Family Insurance.
Based in Madison, Wisconsin, it offers auto, homeowners, and renters insurance, along with life, business, health, hobby/recreational, and farm/ranch insurance, through agents in 19 states. In addition, American Family’s affiliates include The General, Homesite, and Mainstreet American.
Offers a variety of discounts
Coverage for home-based businesses available
Only available in 19 states
No online purchase option (insurance agent required)
American Family Insurance offers competitive prices and what it calls a Diminishing Deductible. Once you purchase a policy, your deductible will automatically decrease with each renewal, as long as you don’t make a claim. A decreasing deductible works in your favor because when you do file a claim, if it is approved, your out-of-pocket expenses will be lower.
Policyholders can also purchase additional coverages for pets and home-based businesses. You may also qualify for one of American Family Insurance’s numerous discounts. It will provide discounts on your premiums when you pay in full, bundle policies, or meet certain age requirements.
One major downside is that American Family Insurance isn’t available nationwide. Prospective customers outside of its 19 covered states are sent from its website to its insurance partner, Midvale Insurance instead. If you’re someone who prefers purchasing your insurance policy online or through an app you may also be disappointed that you can only purchase an American Family renters insurance through one of its agents.
A standard American Family renters insurance policy covers:
- Personal property such as clothing, furniture, and electronics that are damaged or lost due to fire, smoke, theft, or a covered water-related event.
- Fire, smoke, lightning, windstorms, hail, tornadoes, and vandalism.
- Damage to electronics and appliances from power surges.
- Medical bills and legal expenses if a guest is injured in your rental unit.
- Hotel and meal costs if a covered event damages your rental unit and forces you to live somewhere else.
- Accidental damage to a neighbor’s property.
- Theft of belongings outside of your home.
- Bicycles that are housed in a storage unit not connected to your apartment.
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
American Family offers six primary renters insurance discounts:
- Multiproduct. If you bundle two or more policies together, such as renters and car insurance, you can save up to 30%.
- Smart home. If your home is equipped with a qualifying smart device that monitors such things as temperature, humidity, air quality, fire, or intruders, you may be able to save 5%. Some restrictions apply.
- Billing. If you take advantage of options for autopay, full pay, and paperless billing, you will receive discounts.
- Loyalty. Long-term American Family customers may qualify for reduced renters insurance premiums.
- Generational. Those with a parent who’s also an American Family customer can save money.
What Riders Are Offered by American Family Renters Insurance?
American Family offers four main renters insurance riders:
- Pet insurance. This covers up to $1,000 in veterinary and funeral expenses.
- Identity theft. This helps reimburse the cost of restoring your stolen credit and identity.
- Home business. This provides property protection for small-scale home-based businesses.
- Travel. This covers theft, trip cancellation, and global medical insurance when traveling in the U.S. or abroad.
American Family offers other types of insurance you can bundle with your renters insurance to save.
- Automobile. This includes full liability for your car or truck and covers medical bills, lawsuits, uninsured motorists, theft, vandalism, and natural disasters.
- Life. Coverage options range from term to whole life insurance and vary in price.
- Business. Coverage is extensive and includes coverage for buildings and contractors, as well as liability, medical expenses, and workers’ compensation.
- Hobby and Recreational. This includes comprehensive and collision coverage for items such as boats, recreational vehicles, and snowmobiles.
- Umbrella. This coverage takes over after the limits of your renters insurance or other policies are reached.
- Flood insurance. Floods are typically not covered by renters insurance. Separate flood insurance would pay for personal property in your rental house or apartment that is damaged or lost due to flooding.
- Valuables. This covers things like fine jewelry, gemstones, and watches.
Steps to purchase a renters insurance policy from American Family:
- Contact a local American Family agent by heading to its website and searching for representatives based on your location. You can also call to be connected with a local agent.
- Fill out the online inquiry form or provide your agent with information such as your name, address, the number of people and pets in your home, and other details about the property.
- Work with your local agent to create a policy that meets your unique needs.
For more information read our guide How to Buy Renters Insurance.
Policyholders can file a claim 24/7 by filling out a claims form online, through the MyAmFam mobile app, or by calling its 1-800 number. You may also contact your insurance agent, though this person may only be available during specific working hours. Information you’ll need to provide includes your policy number (unless you’re doing it online or through the mobile app), the date and time the event occurred, details of the event, and if relevant, details of parties involved. You may also upload photos of the damage to your online account or within the app.
For more information read our guide on How to File a Renters Insurance Claim.
American Family Insurance vs. Erie Insurance
Neither Erie Insurance nor American Family Insurance are available nationwide, so you’ll need to do some digging to see if it’s available in your state. If so, both insurers provide similar coverage with their standard plans. Some of their add-ons differ — for insurance, American Family offers pet coverage whereas Erie has one for homesharing. Though the exact price you’ll receive will depend on different variables, American Family offers more opportunities for discounts, including ones for bundling policies, being claims-free, and based on your age group.
Learn more in our Erie Insurance review.
American Family Insurance vs. State Farm
State Farm may be a better fit for most renters because of its nationwide availability, compared to American Family — it’s only available in 19 states. Otherwise, both insurance providers offer coverage in addition to their standard plans such as earthquake damage, identity theft protection, and home business. They also offer discounts for multi-policyholders and properties with home security systems. However, American Family has more discounts, including ones for being a loyal customer, claims free, enrolling in automatic payments, and opting into a paperless policy. To purchase a policy, State Farm and American Family require applicants to work with an agent.
Learn more in our State Farm review.
Does American Family renters insurance cover water damage?
American Family covers most belongings damaged by burst pipes and leaking plumbing, heating, and cooling systems. However, it doesn’t cover sewer or septic backups, sump pump overflows, or flood damage.
Does American Family renters insurance cover theft?
Yes. An American Family renters policy covers the cost to replace stolen belongings, whether from your rental property or elsewhere. For instance, if your cell phone is stolen at a restaurant, it would be covered.
Does American Family renters insurance cover flooding?
No. To be protected against flood damage, you need to take out a flood insurance policy.
Does American Family renters insurance cover broken windows?
Yes. Broken windows are covered both for you and your neighbors’ homes.
Does American Family renters insurance cover fire?
Yes, American Family covers fires that originate in your home or a neighbor’s home.
Does American Family renters insurance cover bedbugs?
No. If your home becomes infested with bedbugs, you’ll have to pay for extermination out of pocket.
Does American Family renters insurance cover mold?
Damage from mold or bacteria may be covered. It’s your landlord’s job to clean up the mold but not to pay for damage to your property that the mold caused.
Does renters insurance cover smoke damage?
If any of your property is damaged by smoke coming from your residence or your neighbor’s, it may be covered by renters insurance.
Does American Family renters insurance cover moving costs?
While it doesn’t cover the costs of moving from one apartment to another, American Family Insurance will continue to cover you in your new location. Talk to your agent, because your premium may be slightly different.
Does American Family renters insurance cover roommates?
No. Roommates have to purchase separate renters insurance policies.
How do I cancel American Family renters insurance?
The easiest way is to call your agent. If you don’t know who that is, use the agent locator tool on the website or call customer support.
Does American Family have a mobile app, and what can you do with it?
MyAmFam, American Family’s mobile app, lets you manage your claim, pay bills, find agents, view policy documents, and download proof of insurance. In addition, if you have an auto policy, you can find roadside assistance and a glass repair shop with the app.
Does American Family offer dividends?
What other unique services does American Family offer?
American Family customers now can receive a substantial discount on a Frontpoint home security system. Call American Family or Frontpoint for details.
Does American Family cover college dorm rooms?
Yes, American Family Insurance provides coverage for dorm rooms. If you’re a parent with an American Family renters insurance policy it will provide some coverage to your child if they’re living in a dorm, but American Family recommends that they have their own renters insurance policy for full coverage.
Why You Can Trust Us: 15 Renters Insurance Companies Researched
At U.S. News & World Report, we rank the Best Hospitals, Best Colleges, and Best Cars to guide readers through some of life’s most complicated decisions. Our 360 Reviews team draws on this same unbiased approach to rate the products that you use every day. To build our ratings, we researched more than 15 Renters Insurance Companies and analyzed 12 reviews. Our 360 Reviews team does not take samples, gifts, or loans of products or services we review. All sample products provided for review are donated after review. In addition, we maintain a separate business team that has no influence over our methodology or recommendations.